Re: Terrible underline

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Terrible underline
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 00:44:32 +0100

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
David Kastrup wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

I get terrible underlines with CVS Emacs 23, see the attached
picture. I guess this has something to do with the new font handling,
or?
They look fine to me.  Have you looked at the screenshot?  Maybe it
captures the way things should look rather than how they actually do?

Lennart's screenshot doesn't look good to me - it's underline merges
with the character bases (and doesn't break for the p descender like it
should if the underline is crossing it, but that's a more subtle issue).

However, it's probably font-dependent and font-size dependent.   I
imagine emacs could be using some metrics from the font to decide where
to position the underline...  And there's also a quantisation issue - at
small font pixel sizes, the "natural" position for an underline could
have to be distorted to match the pixel grid for a sharp, detached
underline.

Lennart, you might just try a different font and/or bigger font size,
see if the underline detaches from the bases...

Attached is what underline looks like on an out-of-box cvs build on my
system (which is apparently defaulting to bitstream vera sans.  In fact,
I can't seem to stop it using bitstream vera sans at the moment, but
that's another issue, see bug #35).

As you can see, it's not quite perfect (due to aforementioned descender
issues), but much nicer than Lennart's screenshot.

Thanks David, the underline looks quite good to my on your screen shot. It used to look the same (nearly) for me. I believe it is something that has happened after the merge that has changed this. (BTW I am using w32 which probably is important information here.)