Re: MAINTAINERS file

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:16:14 +0100

> The GNU Project is not just a collection of software packages.  Its
> intended result is a coherent operating system.  It is particularly
> important therefore that GNU packages should work well with other GNU
> packages.  For instance, we would like Emacs to work well with git or
> mercurial, but we especially want it to work well with Bzr.

git is the source code management system for Linux, and Linux is the
predominant kernel used (and endorsed for use) in GNU systems.

I don't even think that we use Bzr for Hurd, but I have not checked.

> The maintainers of one GNU package should use other GNU packages so
> they will notice whether the packages work well together, and make
> them work well together.

One has to get off the ground first.

> We also promote use of other GNU packages in this way.
> Other people don't necessarily see which editor you use,
> but they all see what dVCS you use.

Huh?  Of _course_ anybody looking at my computing will _immediately_ see
what editor I use.  Whereas the actual dVCS system comes only into play
between editing, and then VCS hides a lot of differences.