Re: tabs v spaces in Emacs's source files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: tabs v spaces in Emacs's source files
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:18:32 +0100

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

>  The Emacs source should generally follow the GNU Coding Standards
>  <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/>.

Where does it say whether to use tabs or spaces? (I never seem to find
that section.)

Whatever the coding guidelines says, an extremely informal count
suggests that of the non-empty lines with start with an indentation >=
8, about 8% of them use spaces in C code, and about 16% use spaces in
elisp code. So tab use is most common, but there are enough spaces
(we're talking literaly about tens of thousands of lines) to suggest
that Miles is right: it doesn't really matter...

             Juanma