Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 15:07:24 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This boils down to this: having a `bookmark-make-name-function'
>>> doing for the names of the bookmarks what
>>> `bookmark-make-cell-function' does for the records.  This would be
>>> locally set depending on the mode we're in.
>>>
>>> For now the the name of the bookmark is set by
>>> bookmark-buffer-file-name which doesn't return anything unless you
>>> are in a buffer visiting a file or an Info node, or dired.
>>
>> Hm, looking at the code `bookmark-buffer-file-name' is only called
>> for buffers that don't have `bookmark-make-record-function' set
>> locally, so I don't see why you would need that?
>
> I think you mean: `bookmark-make-cell-function', right?

Nope, Karl has renamed it to bookmark-make-record-function.

> Karl added this after I wrote the text you quote above.
>
>> Or am I late again and Karl's and Stefan's changes already do care oy
>> everything we need?
>
> Yes, they do!

Good boys! ;-)

> Now a mode can define `bookmark-make-cell-function' so that it tells
> bookmark.el how to set the name of the bookmark.

Now it's bookmark-make-record-function, but that has been there (as
b-m-cell-f) for a while now...

,----[ ~/repos/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog ]
| 2007-12-26  Tassilo Horn  <address@hidden>
|
|       * image-mode.el (image-bookmark-make-cell, image-bookmark-jump):
|       New functions.
|       (image-mode): Set bookmark-make-cell-function appropriately.
|
|       * doc-view.el (doc-view-bookmark-jump): Correct misspelled arg name.
|
|       * bookmark.el (bookmark-make-cell-function): New variable.
|       (bookmark-make): Call bookmark-make-cell-function's function
|       instead of bookmark-make-cell.
|       (bookmark-get-handler, bookmark-jump-internal): New functions.
|       (bookmark-jump, bookmark-jump-other-window, bookmark-insert)
|       (bookmark-bmenu-2-window, bookmark-bmenu-other-window):
|       Use bookmark-jump-internal.
|       (bookmark-make-cell-for-text-file): Rename from bookmark-make-cell.
|
|       * doc-view.el (doc-view-bookmark-make-cell)
|       (doc-view-bookmark-jump): New functions.
|       (doc-view-mode): Set bookmark-make-cell-function buffer-locally.
`----

And I don't see how it sets the name.  The name is set in `bookmark-set'
by querying the user and using a default value of the current bookmark
(if set) or the buffer name.

> Some people talk, some people work. :)

And others can't follow while others talk. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Richard Stallman has a katana. 'Nuff said.