Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:12:50 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I think you mean: `bookmark-make-cell-function', right?
>>
>> Nope, Karl has renamed it to bookmark-make-record-function.
>
> No, there is both
>
>   bookmark-make-record-function (line 466)
>   bookmark-make-cell-function (line 741)

Yeah, but I think Karl missed the second one (make-cell) while renaming.
I've already sent him a mail.

Looking at the code of bookmark-set, I think I'm right.

  (or
   (local-variable-p 'bookmark-make-cell-function)
   (bookmark-buffer-file-name)
   (error "Buffer not visiting a file or directory"))

If the record-creation is done by another mode, it's fine.  Else, if
(bookmark-buffer-file-name) returns nil, which it does for buffers with
no file, error.  This is needed, because if
bookmark-make-record-function is not set by the mode, the default
bookmark-make-record-for-text-file will be used, and that works only
with buffers associated with a file.

>>> Now a mode can define `bookmark-make-cell-function' so that it tells
>>> bookmark.el how to set the name of the bookmark.
>>
>> Now it's bookmark-make-record-function, but that has been there (as
>> b-m-cell-f) for a while now...
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere.

Yep, and I think exceptionally not on my side. :)

Bye,
Tassilo