Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:35:10 +0100

On Sat, Mar 08 2008, Bastien wrote:
> Following Karl advice I've applied a different patch.  There is now
> `bookmark-make-name-function' *and* `bookmark-make-record-function',
> both buffer local.  For an example on how this is supposed to work
> look at the changes I've made in info.el.
>
> I think it's okay like this.  If you plan to change anything please
> tell me before I work on gnus-bookmark.el.

I didn't follow this discussion closely.  Do I understand correctly
that after changing gnus-bookmark.el, it will take advantage of new
features in bookmark.el that are not present in Emacs < 23.  I.e. it
wont work in Emacs 22 at all (and XEmacs?).

As `gnus-bookmark.el' is quite new in No Gnus, I don't expect many
Emacs <= 22 users use it intensively.  If it is not too much work, it
would be nice to make it work for all supported Emacsen, cf. (info
"(gnus)Emacsen").  But I don't insist on this.  If you don't support
Emacs < 23, please ...

- document that only Emacs 23 and up are supported,

- make sure that it doesn't disturb compiling Gnus with Emacs < 23 too
  much,

- signal appropriate errors when trying to use it in Emacs < 23.

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: Please strip me from further CC's (I read the list(s));
      instead include address@hidden if the discussion is Gnus-related.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)