Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:56:54 +0000

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> Do I understand correctly that after changing gnus-bookmark.el, it
> will take advantage of new features in bookmark.el that are not
> present in Emacs < 23.  I.e. it wont work in Emacs 22 at all (and
> XEmacs?).

Yes.

> As `gnus-bookmark.el' is quite new in No Gnus, I don't expect many
> Emacs <= 22 users use it intensively.  If it is not too much work, it
> would be nice to make it work for all supported Emacsen, cf. (info
> "(gnus)Emacsen").  But I don't insist on this.

I think this is too much work, and as you said, not that many people
might be using this feature.

The only thing is this: gnus-bookmark.el was good to get Gnus bookmarks
and *only* them.  This will go away with the new gnus-bookmark.el.  So,
since the new feature of bookmark.el will help many modes provide their
own ways of setting a bookmark, I think it would make sense to have a
"type" key in the bookmark record (similar to the annotation), and be
able to list bookmarks of a certain type only.

C-u C-x r l [Prompt type] Info RET
  => list bookmark of Info type

C-u C-x r l [Prompt type] Gnus RET
  => list Gnus bookmarks

If you think it is a good idea, I will do it.

> If you don't support
> Emacs < 23, please ...
>
> - document that only Emacs 23 and up are supported,
>
> - make sure that it doesn't disturb compiling Gnus with Emacs < 23 too
>   much,
>
> - signal appropriate errors when trying to use it in Emacs < 23.

Ok, will do this.

--
Bastien