Re: merging Emacs.app

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: merging Emacs.app
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:14:07 -0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

  > YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:
  > >> BTW, what's the relationship between the "Emacs.app port" and
  > >> "Aquamacs"?
  > >
  > > IIUC, no relationship so far (the latter is based on the Carbon port),
  > > but there may be in future.  There was also "Emacs on Aqua", and it is
  > > the predecessor of "Emacs.app".
  >
  > So "Emacs.app" and "carbon emacs" are the underlying ports to OSX, and
  > "Aquamacs" is (currently) sort of "carbon emacs seriously tweaked to
  > make the UI more macish"?

There's another difference: Emacs.app is doing things the right way:
it is trying to get merged in Emacs.  No such attempt from Aquamacs until
now. On top of that Aquamacs has on it's website a Business School like
feature list where it shows how much better it is than Emacs, and how it
will continue to be like that because it will always use the latest
Emacs plus some changes on top...
It also has a place where it talks about the great contributions back to
Emacs <drumroll> bug reporting for Mac </drumroll>.
And bug reports from Aquamacs are sometime forwarded here, we do get to
do some debugging for Aquamacs too.

(On top of that the Aquamacs name is not that good... )