Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:40:32 -0500

    > It also gives you the rectangle highlighting (which I think most
    > users would agree is quite useful) combined with the ability to
    > use the normal region kill, copy and yank keys also for rectangles.
    > So there's no need to learn a different command set for rectangles!

    Actually, I think the rectangle support is good, although I'd like it to
    be a bit more like the normal region highlighting (e.g. same color, C-g
    should deactivate it, should be allowed to have 0-width).

That is a separate feature, and a major change in Emacs's region
mechanism.  It may be good, but it calls for careful discussion and
thought.  We should not adopt such a change because it came along
with some other feature.