Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: bookmark.el and lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark.el
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:47:42 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If we get rid of the annotation argument for this single function, it
>> means the annotation has to be done before this function returns sth
>> that can be used as the suggested name for the bookmark.
>
> AFAICT getting rid of the annotation argument means nothing at all,
> other than that the annotation will have to be added by the generic
> bookmark-set code rather than being done by every single
> bookmark-make-record-function.

For now `bookmark-set' asks for an annotation (if required), sends it to
`bookmark-make' which calls `bookmark-make-record-function' with the
annotation as an argument.

IIUC Tassilo suggested that the annotation should be directly handled by
`bookmark-make-record-function', which seems correct to me.  What you
propose is to handle annotation in `bookmark-set' (or preferrably in
`bookmark-make') -- this is _feasible_, but it looks weird to me since
the annotation is really part of the record.

BTW, I really think the name suggestion should be taken care of by
`bookmark-make-record-function' (with an optional "name" arg), not
by a separate call to `bookmark-make-name-function'...

Anyway - I let Karl summary and decide on this!

--
Bastien