Re: Diffs between %s and %s end here

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Diffs between %s and %s end here
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:33:02 +0200

>>> If there is no other reason for its removal, we should put it back in.
>>
>> Please don't (at least provide an option to turn it off).
>>
>> When I produce a diff before committing a change, I often want to make
>> sure the no unintended/other changes crept in.  I expect to see
>> exactly the diffs, not some disturbing additional lines.  Even after
>> seeing it several weeks (but not using diff very frequently), I still
>> found it distracting.[1]
>
> Maybe we should put informational messages like that as an (evaporating)
> afterstring overlay on the final LF character?  That way they would not
> be copied anywhere.

I think this is a good idea: this footer will be still displayed
but not copied or saved.

But please don't use such overlays for compilation buffers - they are not
like diff output.  After saving and later visiting the old compilation
output it is useful to see the overall status of the compilation at the
end of the saved output file.  Also it is useful to see how long the full
compilation took time (by subtracting times at the beginning and the end
of compilation) to make estimation how long the next compilation will
take time.  However, nothing like this is necessary for diff output
which I think should have no additional text appended in the saved file.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/