Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:39:48 -0400

    1. After typing C-x b: each M-n (or down-arrow) key will put the
    next buffer name to the minibuffer, starting with the most recent
    buffer and going in the order buffers are stored in the buffer list.

That sounds nice -- and hurts nothing.

    2. After typing C-x b: C-s or C-M-s will incrementally search the
    buffer list for the buffer name that matches the search string or
    regexp. So to switch to the buffer, the users can simply type any
    unique part of the buffer name or to repeatedly type C-s until seeing
    the needed buffer name, e.g.: `C-x b C-s [substring] C-s ... RET'

Does this mean it works like C-s except that it searches through
text that is bigger than just what is in the minibuffer?
Or is it an incompatible change in C-s?

If it is incompatible, we should change C-s for all minibuffers, or
for none.  And I think changing it for all minibuffers would cause
problems in some.

If the change in C-s is compatible, then I think it could be ok to do
it in just buffer reading, but it might be good to make it more
general if possible.