Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:55:59 +0200

>     2. After typing C-x b: C-s or C-M-s will incrementally search the
>     buffer list for the buffer name that matches the search string or
>     regexp. So to switch to the buffer, the users can simply type any
>     unique part of the buffer name or to repeatedly type C-s until seeing
>     the needed buffer name, e.g.: `C-x b C-s [substring] C-s ... RET'
>
> Does this mean it works like C-s except that it searches through
> text that is bigger than just what is in the minibuffer?
> Or is it an incompatible change in C-s?
>
> If it is incompatible, we should change C-s for all minibuffers, or
> for none.  And I think changing it for all minibuffers would cause
> problems in some.
>
> If the change in C-s is compatible, then I think it could be ok to do
> it in just buffer reading, but it might be good to make it more
> general if possible.

Nothing special is done for buffer reading.  It is the same functionality
that allows isearch to search the minibuffer history: C-r starts searching
the history list backwards, and C-s starts searching the "future" history.

This already works in all minibuffers, and this patch just puts the buffer
list to the "future" history of C-x b.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/