Re: MAINTAINERS file

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:34:13 +0100

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>  If the Hurd were ready for general use, then I would ask everyone
>  to try it, for that reason.

So technical reasons are relevant there...

>  That has nothing to do with the case at hand.  You're exaggerating
>  what I said, then criticizing your exaggeration.  That is just a straw
>  man.  It is not useful.

You misread what I said as meaning that politics were unimportant,
then criticized that.

>  So what?  The decision I've made is for the real situation.

What is the real situation? Do we have data about the number of users
of Bazaar vs. git or mercurial?

>  You're the one trying to convince me.  I'm just explaining.

No, I'm not really trying to convince you. I'm explaining why your
decision, in this particular case, seems to me unwise and arbitrary. I
already said "if we're going to use Bazaar for political reasons, so
be it".

>  You argument seems to say that the GNU Project should never
>  establish a new convention and ask projects to follow it,
>  because no package should ever be asked first.

I thought you were opposed to straw man arguments... That's
overgeneralizing what I said to the extreme.

>  We already know the most important thing about what we will find from
>  a careful study of git, mercurial and Bzr.  We will find that each has
>  its advantages and disadvantages -- but none of them conclusive.  Each
>  will be preferred by some people, but any one of them would work out
>  well enough.

We know we will find that, when there's been no unbiased comparison.
Curious. The only way to know that with such certainty is with the a
priori supposition that it will be so.

>  The best thing to do is to choose the one that is the GNU package is
>  easier, and get the decision over with.

That's what you've saying all along.

             Juanma