Re: CUA mode's C-RET binding [was: position on changing defaults?]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: CUA mode's C-RET binding [was: position on changing defaults?]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:36:15 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> >   Unless you explicitly hit C-RET, you'll never notice it's there.
>> Of course, if we promote the C-RET method of marking a
>> rectangle as the default method, manual needs changes.
>
> BTW, any chance that we could change the default binding of
> `cua-set-rectangle-mark' to something else, besides C-RET? I don't see
> anything in the Common User Access definition about C-RET, so I'm guessing
> it's not part of that standard anyway.

This has nothing to do with CUA as such - it's about finding a sensible
and convenient binding for setting the rectangle mark.

Since C-SPC sets the region mark, and the SPC key is "one dimensional",
I think that C-RET is a good analogy with the RET key's typical "two
dimensional" form.

And when I chose C-RET, it wasn't used by any other installed
package (not as far as I could see).

If we could move "just-one-space" to some other key, using M-SPC to
set the rectangle mark would be an alternative "logical" binding for
setting the rectangle-mark.

A third possibility would be S-SPC, but that may not work in -nw.

> The current binding presents a problem for Icicles and some other modes.
> here are messages about a nxml-mode conflict, for example:
> http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.nxml.general/2006-01/msg00052.html,
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg03655.html.

I guess that no matter what global key is chosen for "set-rectanle-mark",
it will conflict with some other mode...

> Again, this is only a minor annoyance, but if fixed it might let more people
> use CUA mode in more contexts.

Sorry, but if I can decide, I'll not change it :-)