RE: position on changing defaults?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: position on changing defaults?
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:57:43 -0800

> >> Yes, it is powerful, but like suggested packages radically
> >> changes the default behavior that most Emacs users are
> >> accustomed to.
> >
> > Sorry, I can't follow. What is powerful? What suggested
> > packages?... What's the point/question?
>
> I was referring to the similarities between the *Completions* buffer
> and pull-down lists that allow completions, and just like
> Icicles is the superstructure over the *Completions* buffer, ido
> is the superstructure over the minibuffer, and iswitchb is the
> superstructure just over the C-x b minibuffer with buffer names.
> Though all they significantly
> change the underlying default user interface.

Well, I still don't understand, but thanks for trying. ;-)

I don't agree, BTW, with your characterization of the various
"superstructures", except the part about them all changing the default UI.

Icicles, for example, is not about the *Completions* buffer - you need never
even show it. It is about completion, which is about minibuffer behavior
more than anything else. I'd just say that all three libraries you mentioned
change or extend the completion behavior from the default one, in different
ways.