Re: Emacs 22 lockup + CCL: Quited.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 lockup + CCL: Quited.
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:32:44 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm using an Emacs 22 built a few days ago, and today it has started
>> to lockup for long periods of time (many seconds) and even hitting C-g
>> does not bring it back to life.
>>
>> But after some time has elapsed, it inserts "CCL:Quitted" in the buffer,
>> and it becomes responsive again...
>>
>> I've seen it happen two or three times in connection with replying
>> to a message in Gnus.  I don't known how to reproduce it.
>>
>> In GNU Emacs 22.1.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
>>  of 2008-03-05 on kfs-lx
>
> I'm assuming you're using this Emacs, built on the 5th of March, five
> days ago.  Did you only start seeing this problem today, or did it
> happen shortly after you built and started using it?
>
> I don't see anything in the branch changelogs that could plausibly be
> linked to this.

I've only seen it yesterday - I was working from home, using my
home Laptop as an X-server for Emacs 22 running on my work PC.

I do this all the time, and haven't seen the problem before.
One difference though is that yesterday I had to use a somewhat
slower Internet connection due to problems on the primary link.

Is there some timeout in the CCL engine?
Maybe some bad interaction with X server timeouts?

One other difference is that the Emacs 22 session had previously
failed to deliver mail (trying to use the SMTP server on the primary
ISP) - I then switched to using the SMTP server on the secondary ISP.

But the lockup happens while I'm writing a message - not when sending it.