Re: Terrible underline

From: Francesc Rocher
Subject: Re: Terrible underline
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:15:41 +0100

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:02 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Francesc Rocher" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  >> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>  >>> David Kastrup wrote:
>  >>>>    "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>  >>>>
>  >>>>        I get terrible underlines with CVS Emacs 23, see the attached
>  >>>>        picture. I guess this has something to do with the new font
> handling,
>  >>>>        or?
>  >>>
>  >>>    They look fine to me.  Have you looked at the screenshot?  Maybe it
>  >>>    captures the way things should look rather than how they actually do?
>  >>>
>  >> Thanks, yes I looked at the screen shot. There is no space
>  >> between the characters and the underline. To me that is nearly
>  >> unreadable.
>  >>
>  >> It looked much better before the merge I think.
>  >
>  > Yes, you're right. It's time to get support for the variable
>  > 'x-underline-at-descent-line' under win32. Before the merge it
>  > was not necessary, but now this patch should be installed:
>
>  [...]
>

>  > Then,
>  >
>  >    (setq x-underline-at-descent-line t)
>  >
>  > should make the underlining readable (it should look as before).
>
>  Why would one want to have an option then?  Can you think of a use case
>  where people would want to have it set to nil?
>
>  --
>  David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

This variable was introduced to force the drawing of the underline
line at the descent line. Please note that the variable
'x-use-underline-position-properties' can make use of the font
properties, but by default the underline line is drawn at the base
line (don't try to use it under win32, it isn't supported yet). I
think the better would be to use the font properties and, probably, to
remove both variables. The question is whether all fonts have reliable
values about the position and width of the underline line.

--
Francesc Rocher