Re: SYNC_INPUT and 23.1.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: SYNC_INPUT and 23.1.
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:10:17 +0000

Jan Djärv wrote:

Jason Rumney skrev:
Jan Djärv wrote:

Stefan Monnier skrev:
Are there any plans to make SYNC_INPUT the default for 23.1?

That's a good idea.  Any objection?

Sinc there has been no objections, I enabled this by default. You can pass --disable-sync-input to configure if there is problems. But I guess we soon will start take advantage of sync input so the disabled case will become obsolete. When we feel confident that sync input works, I'll remove the non-sync-input code.

Is this just an X thing, or does it affect common code as well? Are there changes we should be making on other platforms to support SYNC_INPUT?

I think Stefan can answer that best, AFAIK, he did the implementation.
I assumed it was an X thing. Does other platforms use signals for the GUI
loop?

Windows uses window messages for input, which arrive to Emacs on a separate thread for each frame. They are then pushed into the Lisp input queue. The process differs slightly from signal handlers in that no interrupt occurs when input arrives, we have to poll the frame's message queue periodically, but because this is performed by a separate thread, it is asynchronous from the point of view of the main Lisp thread. But I recall there are some problems caused by the fact that unlike signal handlers, the message handling thread does not interrupt the main Lisp thread, which have already been worked around on Windows, so the SYNC_INPUT changes may or may not be relevant.