Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:38:51 -0400

>>> Anything that doesn't modify the buffer -- e.g. all movement commands.
>>
>> Supposedly these will be changed to use the new function, so they will
>> explicitly deactivate the mark if the mark was activated with shift and
>> the movement is then performed without the shift.
>>
>> So again, which ones would be left?

> Are you serious?  You intend to modify _every_ movement command in
> Emacs, and require that users modify whatever commands they have
> written?

Actually, that's not a requirement.  The failure to change one such
command is pretty harmless.  It just means that you can't combine the
command with a shift to select the region, and that if the region was
selected with a shift and you use this command without a shift, it will
fail to deactivate the region.  The first will disappoint the user, and
the second may surprise him (tho pc-select worked this way for years
before someone complained), but neither sounds terrible, so the commands
can be changed little-by-little.

> You intend to do this when a simple, clean, and more general
> solution exists, with no apparent downsides?

Haven't yet seen other "simple and clean" solutions.

> Maybe for activating shift-selection, annotating commands is the  best we
> can do, but it's very clear that for deactivating it, we can do better.

If a change is needed for activation, I see no harm in using the same
change for deactivation.

This said, I'm not opposed to using the `only' thingy for the
deactivation.

        Stefan