incomplete comment colorization in terminals

From: Rob Riepel
Subject: incomplete comment colorization in terminals
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

When using font-locking in a terminal window (xterm and the like)
single-line comments are only highlighted to the first non-space
character after a space.  This happens in more than one language-
specific mode - I've tried Emacs-lisp and CPerl modes.

The bug does not occur when running Emacs under X, only in a terminal,
and only for certain terminal types.  The bug is present when TERM is
set to xterm or xterm-color, but not when TERM is set to xterm-16color.

This bug is in 22.1 and the pretest version of Emacs, so it is not new.
Emacs 21 does not have this bug.

Here are some screen shots showing the problem:

xterm-color with the bug:

  http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/emacs/bug/xterm.png

xterm-16color without the bug:

  http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/emacs/bug/xterm-16color.png

xterm-color with X selection to show exact end of highlights:

  http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/emacs/bug/xterm-hilited.png

xterm-16color with X selection for completeness:

  http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/emacs/bug/xterm-16color-hilited.png

If this bug turns out to be in ncurses or term{cap,info} please let me
know so I can submit a bug report to them.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2008-03-11 on daedalus
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/yocal''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tpu-edt-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-j C-n r e p o r t - e m TAB RET

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type <f1> C-a.
(New file)
call-interactively: Text is read-only [3 times]