Re: Shift-movement selection

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Shift-movement selection
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:06:03 +0100

> If this applis to all motion commands, then it is hard to do by
> binding all the keys, there being so many, and some rebound in major
> modes, too.  So it would need to be implemented by some special
> feature that checks for shift.  But I think that is an unclean way to
> do things.

I strongly disagree that doing things consistently for the user is
unclean.

>             Therefore, this is one reason not to make this apply to
> all motion commands.

That is what CUA mode does now - and it works _very_ well.
E.g. to mark a word, line, or sexp, just do S-M-f, S-C-n, or S-C-M-f.

Why force people to use the arrow-keys etc. when we have the
perfect emacs bindings already.

You may argue that some implementations to achieve this are not clean
(such as using the generic pre-command-hook), but using a shifted-key-hook
and 'shift property on movement commands I've suggested is clean
enough for me -- and it has proven to work well in CUA.