Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:42:22 +0200

>>> However, I still don't see a solution for the problem how to display
>>> the message (such as "[Completing command name...]") without a delay,
>>> and leave it visible to the user persistently without interfering with
>>> the user input.
>
> Why would you want to?  This message is not particularly important, as
> far as I can tell.  All it says, basically is "yeah I did get your key
> press and it was bound to the command you thought".
>
> I suggest to only display it if the minibuffer is not active (I'd even
> happily remove it altogether, but at least when the minibuffer is
> inactive the message is pretty harmless, so I don't mind keeping it).

Yes, this message is not important, and currently when command's
completion is called not in the minibuffer, the user can't see it anyway,
because it is momentarily displayed and immediately becomes overwritten
by another message "Type space to flush; repeat completion command to
scroll".  So we can remove it from displaying in the minibuffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/