Re: very slow archive-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: very slow archive-mode
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:41:14 +0200

>> I regularly open Java source archive (JAR of several tens of megabytes)
>> in Emacs.  Recently I recompiled Emacs from CVS and noticed that process
>> of opening and parsing archive had become times slower (didn't measure
>> precisely, but I guess about 5--10x slowdown is there).  Can anyone
>> investigate the problem or just guess what changes caused it?  I don't
>> remember when I compiled Emacs previously, I guess it was a couple month
>> old.
>
> I reported a similar problem.  I believe set-buffer-multibyte is *a lot*
> slower now, and may even have a time complexity of O(N^2).

Unfortunately, this problem destroyed one my important archive today :-(

A 20-megabyte archive that in Emacs 22 opens within 1 sec, in Emacs 23
froze for several minutes, so I was forced to interrupt its visiting
with C-g.  After that, I run a compilation process in another buffer,
that started to automatically save the archive's buffer that was
marked as modified.  As a result, the archive file was corrupted
by this automatic saving.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/