How to spell "commit" [was: bikeshedding bzr (or similar) :]

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: How to spell "commit" [was: bikeshedding bzr (or similar) :]
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 05:18:15 +0900

[[ As long as I'm here dept: Jason, you have my admiration, thanks,
and congratulations for following up on that:  I have not yet had the
patience to follow through on a cvsps conversion, though I've tried
several times! ]]

Wow, among all the bikeshedding[1][2], a real question that matters.

Karl Fogel writes:

 > Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
 > >    1) If we commit to ("push to", whatever the appropriate term is)

Darcs's command set is the best terminology to use here, I think.

You *record* a changeset locally.

You *push* a changeset to make it public.

People are going to call both "commits", of course, but the record
vs. push terminology is nonetheless unambiguous and reasonably
intuitive.  I think it will grow on people if we just start using it.

Footnotes:
[1]  Thien-Thi's question about maintaining personal gateways among
VCSes is also an important question.  I use tailor myself for over a
year now; it has some problems, but it overall works well.

[2]  Of course efficiency will matter, but *not yet*, for heaven's
sake!  "Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming"!