find-file: strange behaviour

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: find-file: strange behaviour
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:28:40 +0100

I'm running emacs 23.0.60.2 from last week here. Since that I noticed some strange behaviour when trying to open a file by C-x C-f. What I try to describe here happens mostly after start up. A second try or any subsequent tries work (not always though, but the error occurs mainly after start up).

case 1:

Start emacs.
C-x C-f ~/path/to/file
emacs opens a second window, 5 lines high only, on the bottom of frame. In that window I see an other file that was opened on start up (I use desktop).
A second attempt succeeds.

case 2 (this one is worth):

If I export an *.org file sometimes an arbitrary existing file is overwritten!
Same as above, first attempt in session, subsequent attempts succeed.

I suspect emacs though, since I deleted all lisp files on my machine before installing. I used emacs 22 before (the current Debian testing package).
I searched the mailinglist for something on this but to no avail.

I'd appreciate some guidance in figuring out the reasons for this. Maybe some known problem that I missed here?

Regards,
  Sebastian