Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:11:38 -0700

"Jonathan Lange" <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Jonathan Lange <address@hidden> wrote:
  > >
  > > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Karl Fogel <address@hidden> wrote:
  > >  > Jason Earl <address@hidden> writes:
  > >  >
  > >  > > bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/
  > >  >
  > >  >  By the way, strongly suggest a dest name after that:
  > >  >
  > >  >    bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/ emacs-bzr
  > >  >
  > >  >  or something.  Probably no one wants their local clone directory to be
  > >  >  named "trunk" :-).
  > >  >

  > >  Actually, it's probably a good idea to do make a shared repository
  > >  called 'emacs-bzr' and use the original clone command inside that. So,
  > >
  > >   bzr init-repo emacs-bzr
  > >   cd emacs-bzr
  > >
  > >   bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/
  > >
  > >  That way, Bazaar will share revisions between branches of Emacs,
  > >  making it faster to clone other branches.
  > >

  > Which reminds me. An even better way to do the initial download is this:
  >
  >  # Get the tarball
  >  $ wget http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs.tar.gz
  >  $ tar xzf emacs.tar.gz
  >
  >  # Make a repo
  >  $ bzr init-repo emacs-bzr
  >
  >  # Seed it with the downloaded branch
  >  $ cd emacs-bzr
  >  $ bzr branch ../emacs trunk
                  ^^^^^^^^^
Is this actually  ../emacs/trunk  ?

(Could you please update the website with these instructions? A good
place would be after the place where you talk about downloading the
.tar.gz file, they are very useful)

BTW, how fast is "bzr annotate" supposed to be?

time bzr annotate vc.el >& /dev/null
133.673u 2.392s 2:23.78 94.6%   0+0k 39864+16io 1pf+0w

The similar command for  Emacs CVS HEAD:
time cvs annotate vc.el >& /dev/null
0.250u 0.064s 0:03.22 9.6%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

Thanks a lot for doing all this!