Re: find-file: strange behaviour

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: find-file: strange behaviour
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:06:02 +0000

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm running emacs 23.0.60.2 from last week here. Since that I noticed
> some strange behaviour when trying to open a file by C-x C-f.

What if you check with a clean emacs -Q ?  Does the error disappear?

I guess the problem comes from one of the function in `find-file-hook'.
Can you see anything suspicious here?

> emacs opens a second window, 5 lines high only, on the bottom of
> frame. In that window I see an other file that was opened on start up
> (I use desktop).

Is the error still here without desktop?

> case 2 (this one is worth):

(You mean "worse", right? :)

> If I export an *.org file sometimes an arbitrary existing file is
> overwritten!  Same as above, first attempt in session, subsequent
> attempts succeed.

You export with C-c C-e h, right?  Or via org-publish.el?

> I suspect emacs though, since I deleted all lisp files on my machine
> before installing. I used emacs 22 before (the current Debian testing
> package).  I searched the mailinglist for something on this but to no
> avail.

I suspect something weirdness with related to your `desktop' or
`session' customization, or maybe some function in find-file-hook.

Can you try to narrow this problem with that directions?

--
Bastien