Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:50:10 -0700

David Kastrup wrote:

Tentative marks capture the familiar semantics much more
precisely than transient ones.

By making it impossible to recreate a mark where one had been last time?
What's the advantage in providing strictly less functionality?

Tentative marks do *not* make it impossible to recreate a
mark where one had been last time.

They do imply that "recreatable" tentative marks are stored
someplace else besides the mark stack.

Tentative marks are by definition not precious so
I don't know that you'd want to put much effort into saving
them but you could always keep, maybe the most recent
one or two if you have commands that would want to restore them.

Having looked at it more closely now, I would even suggest that
transient-mark-mode be deprecated (as in dis-recommended for use and
of low priority for compatibility, going forward).)

I don't get your point.  You basically want to remove functionality and
sell this as an advantage under a different name.

Not quite but, for the sake of argument, let's say, sure.

The quality of a program is a measure less of its quantity of features,
and more of its parsimony of relevant features.  If you know what I mean.
Wink wink.  Nod nod.

-t