Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:49:23 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Question in my mind is, given bzr's propensity to change
representations, does the bzr development team have somebody who's
worked on that kind of function, and demands that functionality be
rock-solid?

"Back in the day" (early days of GNU), aside from walking
uphill to school in both directions, the project had a pretty
solid revision control history *across the various programs*.

Namely, the GNU FTP site.   It had (approximately) every
officially named revision of all GNU programs.   It had (approximately)
all of the "interesting" diffs between versions.   We did "DVC"
by hand (and we liked it that way!).    The concept of a
CVS "vendor branch" comes right out of this arrangement.

It's been downhill ever since.   Arch had the right idea which
is to just automate that old situation rather than replace it.
For performance, build *ancillary* indexes and databases
but treat the tar bundles as the end-to-end check;  those
are things that are ultimately being managed.

-t