Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: d

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:10:48 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:45:05 -0400
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> If you really really dislike (hate?) the warning face, one thing we
> could try is to make it red and non-bold on terminals that support
> colors.  If that's an acceptable compromise, then we can safely go
> ahead and make that change.

It's your call, but at this late stage in the pretest, I'd advise
against _any_ changes that are not strictly necessary for a functional
Emacs.  Face appearance cannot be an obstacle to Emacs functionality,
IMO, because it's all too easy to customize such a face.

Some more data points from the history of this issue:

 . This problem began when Martin Rudalics made the following change:

    2007-10-08  Martin Rudalics  <address@hidden>

            * dired.el (dired-warning): Inherit from font-lock-warning-face to
            make it show up with eight colors.

 . That change caused _all_ files' mode bits to be highlighted on
   MS-Windows, where the file permission default to world-writable.
   Therefore, I made a subsequent change:

    2007-10-13  Eli Zaretskii  <address@hidden>

            * dired.el (dired-warn-writable): New face.
            (dired-warn-writable-face): New variable.
            (dired-font-lock-keywords): Use dired-warn-writable-face, instead
            of dired-warning-face, for group- and world-writable files.

   The new face I introduced looks the same as dired-warning did after
   Martin's change, except in the DOS and Windows ports, where it
   looks like the default face.

   IOW, I didn't change the visual appearance of the mode bits on
   Posix platforms introduced by Martin's change, I just fixed a long
   standing problem whereby Emacs would highlight mode bits that are
   normal on DOS/Windows filesystems.

Now, Martin did his change for a reason, see the log entry above.  It
looks like the change on the trunk by Juri simply reversed Martin's
change (modulo face renaming), which means we are now back at the
problem whereby world-writable files will not stand out on 8-color
text terminals.  At the very least, we should take care of that
original problem on the trunk.