Re: incomplete comment colorization in terminals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: incomplete comment colorization in terminals
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:34:41 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Rob Riepel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:49:59 -0700
>
> I really like the color schemes that come with 16+ color support, but
> there's no "mode" value for --color=mode that sets anything above 8.
> Is there a way to set the number of colors that can be displayed
> in .emacs?

I'm guessing that you are reading the output of "emacs --help", which
is necessarily terse and doesn't tell the whole story.  In the Emacs
manual, by contrast, you will find this text:

    `--color=MODE'
         For a character terminal only, specify the mode of color support.
         This option is intended for overriding the number of supported
         colors that the character terminal advertises in its `termcap' or
         `terminfo' database.  The parameter MODE can be one of the
         following:

        `NUM'
              Use color mode for NUM colors.  If NUM is -1, turn off color
              support (equivalent to `never'); if it is 0, use the default
              color support for this terminal (equivalent to `auto');
              otherwise use an appropriate standard mode for NUM colors.
              Depending on your terminal's capabilities, Emacs might be
              able to turn on a color mode for 8, 16, 88, or 256 as the
              value of NUM.  If there is no mode that supports NUM colors,
              Emacs acts as if NUM were 0, i.e. it uses the terminal's
              default color support mode.
              If MODE is omitted, it defaults to ANSI8.

Thus, --color=16 should do what you want, if the terminal can support
16-color mode.