Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:09:06 +0100

    The problem with trying to force-fit transient mark mode for this
    purpose is that it tries to equivocate the traditional Emacs current
    mark with the beginning of a "shift-selected" region.

    [snip]

    T-m-m was a *mistake* and now you guys seem to want
    to double down on that bad bet.

Is anyone looking into Thomas' ideas at all?  As far as I can see the
only response he has got is from David and, from what I can remember,
they seemed to mostly miscommunicate.

To me it seems like most people are rushing forward on this matter,
seemingly (granted, from my quite uninformed viewpoint) trying to "bolt
on" this shift-select functionality in some quite complicated manner,
while Thomas present some new interesting (to me at least, I do not
know enough on this subject to see if it has any real merits)
ideas that at least sound much simpler.

Could at least someone with a lot of knowledge in this area at least
refute the ideas with good arguments, it does not strike me as very
polite to just ignore people with different ideas like this. It seems he has
put in quite some thinking on this one.

Excuse me if this has already been discussed by others and I have
simply missed seeing it.

/Mathias