Re: Usability suggestion : completion for M-:

From: paul r
Subject: Re: Usability suggestion : completion for M-:
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:42:58 +0100

 Drew Adams <address@hidden>:

>  Why do that, especially if, as you admit, it is just a temporary hack: "in
>  the meantime"? In-the-meantime changes can become fixed by neglect, for no
>  special reason, rather than being just temporary exceptions to the rule. The
>  result of lots of such changes would be ad-hoc inconsistency throughout the
>  UI.

I think this "Agree" was not clear enough. I agree on the idea that
M-: could *certainly* be made better, just like any other part of
emacs. You seem to have some ideas on that topic, and if you write a
M-x eval-expression-full-bodied , I will for sure give it a fair try.
I have no doubt on your skills to produce wise and good quality code.

But the point is that *today*, only eval-expression exists, and I
think Tab for completion makes more sens that Tab for self-insert,
and, above all, is more intuitive. And this thread is all about
binding *by default* Tab to give it a more intuitive behaviour in
fresh emacs install. But I think I stated that enough now, and you
clearly stated your position as well, so it could help to have other
people advice on that point, concerning the *current implementation*
of M-: