Re: Shift on console

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Shift on console
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:23:29 +0000

'Evening, Robert!

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 06:34:42PM +0000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
> Shift fails on my console.

Where "console" = ????

I have had this problem on my GNU tty (which might be the same as your
console, but probably isn't).

> I cannot run C-M-S-v
> (scroll-other-window-down) on it although I can run it on both an
> Xterm and on RXVT

On a GNU tty, this has the same cause as not having C-<up> or M-<down>:
the standard keyboard layout discards the modifier keys.  :-(

The solution is to add stuff to a keymap (in the sense of Linux's
loadkeys) and add stuff to Emacs's function-key-map to parse this.  For
example, I've got the following lines in my boottime.kmap.gz for
C-M-S-a:

keycode  30 = a
        AltGr   keycode  30 = +adiaeresis    # ä ACM 11/7/99
        Shift AltGr keycode 30 = +Adiaeresis # Ä ACM 11/7/99
        control alt shift keycode 30 = F214          <================
string F214 = "\033[7>a"         # Control+Alt+Shift+a

> All as a regular user using BASH.

This problem is going to become really problematic if "shift-movement
selection" becomes the Emacs default".

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).