Re: address@hidden: Re: Emacs 22.2 release plans - request for a slight

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Emacs 22.2 release plans - request for a slight delay.]
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:33:13 +0100

> For me (1.2 Ghz Athlon) C-M-a from EOB in .../src/lisp.h take ~1.5
> seconds.  Previously, it was about 30 seconds.  That's an order of
> magnitude speed up.

I appreciate that.  The problem is that `add-change-log-entry' here
still spends some 7 secs not finding anything useful with `point' on the
line reading

extern Lisp_Object safe_alloca_unwind (Lisp_Object);

admittedly also because `add-change-log-entry' is rather stupid.

> The problem is that it is impossible to decide without an unbounded
> search whether
>
>     int foo [50] ;
>     (char *) bar ;
>
> occurring at the outermost nesting level of a file.c is declaring global
> variables or is a k&r region declaring function parameters.
>
> I'd welcome suggestions as to how to speed it up, though.  I can't see
> much alternative to what I've done (put a limit on 20 paren/bracket
> pairs in a k&r region) unless I put in a "column 0 heuristic", something
> I'd realy rather not do.

I'm puzzled that (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) (point-max)) completes
instantaneously here (without any paren/brackets limits).