Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:37:34 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
 > The way I see it, C-SPC provides a robust region, and Emacs users will
 > continue using this even after we implement shift-selection; holding
 > down the shift key is too much of a nuisance.  So we're talking about
 > how Emacs behaves for new/casual users, who use shift-selection
 > because they're either unaware of or unused to C-SPC.  It seems to me
 > that such users would expect the shift-selected region to be fleeting,
 > since that is the behavior in other editors.  Furthermore,
 > shift-selection is *inherently* fleeting, since entering any unshifted
 > motion key deactivates the mark, and motion commands are
 > psychologically "tinier" (or rather less consequential) than most
 > commands.

Currently I do not find a single way to handle the following scenario
reliably: (1) Select some "region" of text, (2) scroll the window the
text appears in such that `window-point' gets relocated, (3) perform an
action on the region selected in step (1).  Everything I tried so far
(transient-mark-mode, mouse-drag-region, delete-selection-mode,
pc-selection-mode, CUA-mode) failed.  Any plans to handle this?

What do you mean with "failed" here? Do you mean that the region is changed or that it disappears (or something else) when you have come to 3?

If you use C-space then the region does not disappear - as I guess you know.

BTW, here is a suggestion:
- If the region was not created with C-space (or something equivalent) then C-space should not cance the region, but make it behave just as C-space was used to create it.

This could mitigate the problem that some commands (like scroll) deactivates the mark.