Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:43:51 +0530

Hello,
 With lengthy discussions having taken place on this SCM issue, what
are we waiting for? Are there really any concrete plans to move to a
dSCM or are we just wasting talking about features and shortcomings of
each tool. Any outcome of ESR study?

 From my truly humble opinion, GIT and Mercurial are the top
contenders with GIT having an edge over Mercurial due to speed,
ability to hack on multiple branches in the same folder (repository)
and an active development and porting initiatives (mercurial has
similar record). GIT has the ability to talk to a SVN repository,
though this is not important for Emacs, more people might start using
GIT because of this feature (well, I started mainly due to this
feature as my work place used SVN). The fact that GIT has a CVS server
option makes it possible to share the code base to CVS clients. For
example, if someone on OpenVMS (DEC VMS) wants to access Emacs
repository, GIT is not ported to VMS. They can still use the port of
CVS client on VMS to access Emacs source directly from VMS.

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!