Re: Shrinking frames as of past month

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Shrinking frames as of past month
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:56:00 +0100

Michael Olson skrev:
<#part sign=pgpmime>
When I replaced my Emacs binary that was compiled in February with one
compiled from today's CVS HEAD, I noticed some very aberrant behavior
WRT frames.  I haven't updated the rest of my system in that time, such
as libraries, so it must be due to a change in Emacs.  It happens with
"emacs -Q" as well, so it's not caused to my init file.

Basically, GTK frames seem to shrink by about one character length every
time I do certain things such hitting viewing mail on Gnus, hitting the
key combination "M-x", or displaying an image by hitting RET on it in
dired.

Does this always involves an image, or does it happen when you view ordinary text mail in Gnus also?

The easiest way to replicate this is to view a directory which contains
image files in dired, and hit RET on one of them.  The frame will
shrink.  Hit C-x b to switch back and forth between the image and the
directory, and the frame will shrink further.  It might be necessary to
initially have the frame small enough that a line-wrap indicator shows
up in the fringe.

Cool, we have shrinkage in both dimensions now :-).

I also notice then when I resize the frames back to take up the original
amount of pixels in width, that the window manager thinks the dimensions
of the window are different than they are.  In two frames with the same
number of pixels long, and with Emacs displaying the same number of
characters, one is thought to be 80x35 by the window manager and the
other one (the one that shrank earlier) is thought to be 70x35.

That is wm size hints that aren't updated properly. The bug is why the frame shrinks when viewing an image. I can reproduce it, so a fix should be done within a couple of days or so.

        Jan D.