Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:30:09 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> To fix this bug, we would have to change the external package.
>
> Yup.  We have to fix it anyway in order for the shift to start the selection.

That's the beauty of CUA's command property approach - you can fix
it simply by setting a property on the problematic commands in
your own .emacs -- no need to mess inside the source code.

And it is the same for the delete-selection feature -- you can
make external packages delete-selection aware simply by setting
a suitable property.

I.e. if someone complaints that package xxx doesn't work, it is
much easier to tell them to "add these two lines to your .emacs"
rather than "you need to find file xxx.el and edit the interactive
spec of commands xxx-forward and xxx-backward, and then byte-compile
the file".

But I've given up already - it seems that most people making decisions
on this issue don't use shift-select or delete-selection themselves,
and they are not interested in listening to those who use it and have
proven experience in implementing it (and having spent a lot of time
making it work very well).