Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:14:53 -0700

Mike Mattie wrote:
If you were going to invest your time and skills into hacking on a VCS do you
really want to choose coding out-of-tree scripts for CVS ?

The question of making short-term investments of my time
in this area has been weighing heavily on my mind, lately.
The original Arch took like 4-6 weeks to code and, now, years
later, I know a lot more.   So I'm trying to think of what I might
do in this area.

I don't think I want to make any programs that are CVS-specific
in any way  -- but I am thinking that the "dcvs" needs of a project
like Emacs can possibly be done in a way that doesn't make it
necessary to first move away from CVS.   Desirable to eventually
move away, absolutely -- but i'm not sure that good dcvs features
need to force that migration to happen right away.

Any ideas that would retro-fit DVCS features onto archaic VCS systems
would be more effective for Emacs in vc I think. From there you could
at least expect a normalized API for common VCS operations and a larger
audience for your features.

It seems better to work on a better future for a modern VCS system, all things
equal,
than working on arranging the flowers at CVS's funeral.

Sure.  I'm not proposing to invest in CVS' future.   I'm suggesting
working on dvcs needs with the constraint that it's desirable to meet
dcvs needs without *forcing* a migration away from CVS (or any
other system).   It's best, to the extent possible, for dvcs features to
be independent of the vcs system used by each programmer.

Your analysis from the Shift Selection thread is meticulous IMHO, this must be
a floater (idea).

The VCS stuff is, *yes* a "floater" speculative idea. The shift-select stuff
is, ahem, well... as you say, thank you.

I'm sketchy about the concept of trying to muster volunteer labor.

But I'm a little bit hooked in interest on the dcvs woes here.

I'm just wondering what makes sense to try to do here.   Whether
I can mount a quick and dirty "Arch 2.0" push to any good effect.

-t

btw, I have coded some large shell scripts regretfully. Even basic string
operations are
not simple ; hence perl. I doubt that any fancy merging tricks can emerge in sane form without writing a FOO -> bash compiler.

     The auto-tools suite is essentially useful, but I doubt anyone is thrilled
by
     maintaining autoconf.

     even if you get daring and use co-processes to leverage an external "to
bash"
translator to feedback complex semantics into your bash core, many, if not most programs cannot read from pipes without SIGPIPE. The mmap assumption
     is almost universal these days.

     If you need any more horror stories along these lines, I will share them
privately :)

-t