Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:30:12 +0000

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, that every dVCS is flexible enough to adapt does not mean that
> all workflows are equally practical or easy to follow with any of
> them.

True.

> Were this not the Emacs project, determining the workflow and choosing
> the tool that best matches it would seem preferable to trying to
> shoehorn this or that tool to the desired workflow.

My guess is that the collective workflow will change after the switch.
My point was to try thinking about such possible changes, depending on
what people think of the current workflow.

> I don't think we're at that point yet. We're at the point were normal
> operations are slow because of the Emacs' repository size and long
> history. At least, that's what it seems from the comments so far.

Okay.  Hopefully bzr will improve quickly.

> Agreed. But there are relatively few, very specific parts of Emacs
> that suffer this problem: gnus, org, etc.

Right.  But think of the work on the rmail-mbox-branch.  If this branch
was really an independant subproject (like Gnus), it would help people
jumping in.

>>  I propose to think about what a _distributed_ VCS
>>  would be really useful for as a collective tool, in hope that such a
>>  discussion might give directions in the evaluation of bzr.
>
> That kind of discussion should be independent of the tool, shouldn't
> it?

Yes, sure.  But it seems more useful to have this discussion instead of
the git-bzr-mercurial debate...

--
Bastien