Re: new frame-parameter "alpha"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new frame-parameter "alpha"
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:16:42 -0400

>> Looks good.  Tho maybe I'd put the call to x_set_frame_alpha directly
>> inside x_update_cursor (and rename it to x_update_cursor_and_opacity).
>>
>> I don't mind the use of "alpha" rather than "opacity", as long as the
>> docstrings are clear.  The patch needs to also update the manual.
>> And could you describe the copyright status?

> The frame parameter code and the x_set_frame_alpha function
> were written by Ryo Yoshitake.  He is ready to sign.

Could you send him the appended form (and Cc me along the way)?

> The lower_limit variable and the x_set_alpha function originally come from
> mw32fns.c (e.g. mw32_set_frame_alpha in l.1019-1078) in Meadow,
> although they look differently because of my extensive modification.
> http://www.meadowy.org/meadow/browser/trunk/src/mw32fns.c (slow connection)
> I am contacting Mr. Horiguchi, the author of the relevant part.

Copyright only applies to actual code, not ideas, so if the code was
rewritten, copyright does not apply any more.

> The first version of the patch was developed by Takashi Hiromatsu.
> I am waiting for his response in order to make sure.
> Practically, his code in ver.1 was completely
> replaced by Yoshitake-san's code (ver.2) and
> my code based on Meadow (ver.3, ver.4).

So it sounds like he does not hold any copyrights over the current
version of the code.  Is that right?

> Yoichi Nakayama wrote twenty lines to improve performance,
> surrounded by the following brackets.
> He agreed to contribute, but he modestly described that his improvement is
> "minor".

Let's leave this for later.

        Stefan

Please email the following information to address@hidden, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

xterm.c