Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:42:24 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
  > > It would be nice if [ and ] that appear in the mode-line in
> > recursive-edit had a tooltip explaining what they are. > > Such tooltips will be helpful for beginners.
To explain why this is needed: good UI design provides clues for what
the elements of the UI.  Tooltips are a way to provide such clues, we
use them already.  Suggestions for alternative

That describes tooltips in general, and their raison d'etre. It is not an
argument for adding these particular tooltips.

Some reasons to add tooltips here:

- Those [...] is not there all the time so when they shows up the user may wonder, eh, should wonder.
- You may use Emacs for quite some time without seeing them.
- Some things might work strange during recursive editing.
- We have tooltips for other small pieces.
- This tooltip should/could be only on the borders, ie [ and ].