Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:38:03 +0200

>> But really there is no need to mix two separate search spaces.
>> There exist already a convenient key sequence to search the completion
>> table: `PgUp C-s'.  PgUp switches to the *Completions* buffer and
>> C-s starts searching among completion candidates.
>
> Why not let PgDn switch between searching history and completions? Or
> maybe cycling history/completions/history+completions?

This would be very clumsy user interface since it is not an intuitive
key for switching search modes, and also will require an indication
somewhere for the current mode.

However, I think PgDn is a good candidate for a new command that
just like PgUp displays a list of completions in a separate buffer,
will display a list of elements from the history list in a
separate buffer.  I think this would be a useful feature.
It will allow browsing all elements of the history list in one buffer
and using normal isearch to search them.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/