Re: split-window-preferred-function

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: split-window-preferred-function
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:47:23 -0400

> Maybe a function in `split-window-preferred-function' should take care
> of all these conditions to decide how to split within a given
> window configuration?

Also to decide *if* to split a window.

> This means we could remove `split-window' from the default value of
> `split-window-preferred-function', and then check in `display-buffer'
> if `split-window-preferred-function' is non-nil, then call it without
> checking any condition.  Otherwise, call `split-window', i.e. exactly
> as it was implemented before introducing `split-window-preferred-function'.

I think we need to allow the function to return nil and in this case
continue with the rest of the code.  I.e. it should be possible to
reproduce in Elisp what happens when split-window-preferred-function
is nil.  A good way to make sure that's true is to write the code in
Elisp in the first place.

        Stefan