Re: Search menu [was: Change grep -> lgrep, rgrep in Tools menu?]

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Search menu [was: Change grep -> lgrep, rgrep in Tools menu?]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:41:54 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
why is grep in the tools menu and not in edit - Search?

I agree that Grep should be on the Search menu. I moved it there in my own
code long ago.

FWIW -
I also did the following to the Search menu:

* Moved it to the top level, instead of as an Edit submenu. * Moved the Replace, Bookmarks, and Go To submenus to it.
* Added an Occurrences item (`occur').
* Added a Tags submenu (`find-tag', `find-tag-regexp',
  `apropos-tags', `tags-search').

Screenshot of the menu attached. All except the Icicles submenu is vanilla
Emacs stuff, just renamed and rearranged.

There are lots of powerful search tools in Emacs, and it is good to make
them more evident.

BTW - Although I removed a lot from the Edit menu, I added other things to
it - things that are more about editing: submenus Fill (filling), Edit
Region, and Sort Region, for instance. And items Delete Matching Lines and
Delete Non-Matching Lines (`flush-lines', `keep-lines').

I still think it would be good to replace

  Tools
    grep

with

  Edit
      lgrep
      rgrep

For Drews suggestion and earlier discussion see here:

http://www.nabble.com/Change-grep--%3E-lgrep,-rgrep-in-Tools-menu--td15184987.html

Also, occur is missing from the search sub-menu.

I believe those things are essential for beginners. The menus are perhaps most useful for the beginners. My earlier question did not evoke much response, maybe because this question is not so important for most readers here.

I suggest we change the Edit menu. Maybe Drew's suggestion is good too, but I feel that it can be troublesome with too many menus.

If someone feels very strongly against changing the menus, then please say so. Otherwise I think it is just a matter of doing it (in a sane way).