Re: What happened to unicode?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: What happened to unicode?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:05:07 +0000

Neal Becker wrote:

>> I've been using the unicode branch of cvs.  After updating today, it no
>> longer builds, telling me that the unicode branch is merged into mainline
>> and I should do cvs update -A.  I did.
>>
>> Now I'm looking at a file and emacs doesn't display unicode characters.
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Looks like if I do:
> emacs -fn Monotype
>
> I get good results.
>
> How do I make this default?  I tried via customize (customize face default),
> but that doesn't seem to work.

Customizing face default is broken for me too - placing in my .emacs
something like the following seems to work though (you might want to
replace the font name (DejaVu Sans Mono) and size (10)):

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "DejaVu Sans Mono-10"))

;; also for custom default background + foreground colors:
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "midnightblue"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "lightgoldenrod"))

I filed it as a bug:
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=35