Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:27:17 +0200

>> * "Perspectives" are named persistent window configurations.  We have
>> had the window configuration mechanism in GNU Emacs since the
>> beginning but we have never developed a good user interface to take
>> advantage of them.  Eclipse's user interface seems to be good.
>
> Well, we already have `C-x r w R' (window-configuration-to-register)
> and `C-x r f R' (frame-configuration-to-register) for saving window
> configurations, and `C-x r j R' for restoring them.
>
> Though it's true that this could certainly be more user-friendly.
> Maybe the simplest way to do this is to add a "window configuration"
> submenu to the File menu on the menu-bar.

I use such Emacs configuration where there is only one full-size Emacs
frame.  But it is practically impossible to use Emacs without an
equivalent of Emacs frames that group a set of Emacs windows into
separate frame units.  So window configurations are real saver for me.

But using window configurations is limited to a few inconvenient
commands like `C-x r w' and `C-x r j'.  So I wrote a package that
displays a list of all recorded window configurations and allows to
easily switch between them.  It works like a list of windows in many
window managers: when you type a key (e.g. M-TAB), it displays
a list of window configurations (windows in window managers),
another key switches to the selected window configuration.

Below is the source code of this package.  Initially it was part of
the ee package, but I rewrote it based on buff-menu.el to remove
dependencies, so now it is a standalone package.

Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/