Re: File > Close and File > Save

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File > Close and File > Save
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 06:16:58 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:42:23 -0700
>
> 1. The File > Close menu item is unclear. In fact, this is essentially
> kill-buffer, but you would never guess that.

I think the tooltip for this menu item hints on that.

> And there is no key binding shown.
> Menus are one way to learn what commands are available and what keys they are
> bound to. This item should teach C-x k.

Emacs does this automatically, but the problem here is that the
File->Close menu item does not run kill-buffer, the command usually
bound to C-x k.  It runs a different command.

> The menu item should be renamed and C-x k should be put next to the item. What
> name should be used? Well, how about `Kill Buffer'?

File->Close is a standard menu item in most, if not all, applications
that visit files.  For that reason, I object to renaming this menu
item in Emacs.

> 2. In a related vein, we have item `Revert Buffer', but just `Save' and `Save
> As'. Every other item on the File menu has a verb and object. How about `Save
> Buffer' and `Save Buffer As', for consistency and clarity?

I'd prefer to remove "buffer" from "Revert buffer", if we are obsessed
with consistency.  Again, because "Save" and "Save As" are standard
items on the File menu in GUI applications that visit files.